The Oregon Caves is a national monument and preserve with the Siskiyou Mountains of southwestern Oregon, not far from the Oregon-California state line. The park currently contains 4,554 acres of forest lands as well as the cave. The Oregon Caves is located 20 miles east of Cave Junction, Oregon on SH 46.
After the Antiquities Act was passed in 1909 by the US Congress, President W. H. Taft established Oregon Caves National Monument which was to be managed by the United States Forest Service. By the 1920s, there began an increase to the cave visitation and in 1933, the National Park Service assumed control of the monument. In 1934, a six story hotel, the
Chateau, was built to accommodate the growing influx of visitation to the caves.
The National Park Service, after it assumed control of the monument in 1933, begain offering cave tours from mid-April through early November. In 2014, the protected area was expanded by about 4,000 acres and re-designated a National Monument and Preserve. At the same time, the segment of the creek that flows through the cave was renamed for the mythological Styx and added to the National Wild and Scenic Rivers System.